We are a small friendly local rugby team who are entering our 12th season. Our team was born as a result of senior players wanting to start a youth and colt team and teach young children the skills they need to play the game in a fun and relaxed atmosphere.
We follow the RFU’s Age Grade Rugby: This format ensures that young players play the right rugby at the right time and is supported by the regulations of the Age Grade game with the safety of the children paramount.
The principle behind the Rules of Play is to provide a playing format with building blocks to the 15-a-side game that allows players time to get to grips with the basics of running and catching the ball before contact and specialism is gradually introduced – which positively impacts on player safety.
We currently take children between the ages of 4 and 11 (Reception through to Year 6) and the club is split into the below areas.
- Children between the ages of four and six learn ball skills through fun and play
- Under 7s and Under 8s: the children play ‘tag rugby’, a fast moving, non-contact game, designed to teach them about ball skills, movement and space.
- Under 9 – Under 11: In line with the RFU’s Age grade rugby, the children are introduced to the contact game, learning and developing new skills as they progress through the age groups.
Whilst we have lots of children coming up and through the ranks, we welcome all players regardless of ability or previous experience. Minis rugby is open to both boys and girls on an equal basis and the teams are mixed.
If you would like to know more please don’t hesitate to contact us at:
- Visit our Facebook page (alresfordminisrugby) or Instagram (@alresfordminisrugby)
- Or just turn up to one of our training sessions.
We train every Sunday at 10:00am (arrive at 09:45 to prepare the children) on the pitches at Arlebury Park, unless we’re away at fixtures or festivals. The sessions run until 11:00am for U6s and 11:15 – 11:30 am for the other age groups.
Everyone is welcome to come and join in with us, and we offer free taster sessions. We look forward to seeing you.
Minis’ Secretary – Rupert Kellie
Further details for the 2021/2022 season:
Arrival time is 0945 for a 1000 start so we have 15 minutes to get the kids ready to start on time.
- On arrival at the pitches please ensure you register each child with the team manager for the age group they are in – there will be flags to show you where each group is located.
- A lot of the prior season’s Covid measures are no longer needed but there are still a few measures we would like you to follow please:
- Please ensure you do a Covid self-assessment for each child before you arrive: https://app.proactivereporting.com/covid19/form/yMz2ScA9t1NOBnmg
- Register with a team manager at the start of each session before your child gets involved in the rugby.
- Children will hand sanitise at the start and end of each session, and as otherwise directed by the coaches and team managers.
- Children should bring their own (labelled) water bottle and not share water bottle
- Please ensure a parent/guardian remains on the side of the pitches throughout the training session.
You will find details on how you register your child to the club (or affiliate as the RFU refer to it) and also buy membership for the season here: membership. Note if your child was part of the club last season they will need to be re-affiliated to the club, as this is an annual process.
The online shop opens at various point during the season (we notify parents when it opens) and you can buy all the Minis club rugby kit here at the The Junior Club Shop
Any other questions just drop an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or catch up on a Sunday down at the pitches.